December 6th (16 weeks):

I don’t know where to start, so I’ll get right to the point. We’re having a boy!! We just received the news this afternoon. Most couples don’t find out the sex of the baby from their doctor until 20 weeks. Not us! We (okay, mostly me) are much too impatient for that.
For those that don’t know, they have a new technology out which allows you to see a 4D image of your baby as early as 15 weeks. At 16 weeks, they can determine the sex for a small fee of about $70. For 60 seconds, I was torn; do we wait and get the results for free or do we pay and get the results now? Now that we’re past that, I can tell you that I would have paid much more than that for what we experienced today.

As you can see in the picture, the clinic looks like a miniature home theater fully furnished with a 100” projector, a couch, dimly lit lights and soft music. You can’t get that in a doctor’s office. We were allowed to bring up to 10 people, but I thought the procedure would be too invasive and so we only brought Marshall’s Mom who by the way showed up one pink and one blue bagged baby gift (talk about prepared)!

Once we got there, the technician applied a gel to my stomach and moved some device around. By the grace of science, this device allowed her to see through my stomach. She was able to see both 2D and 4D images which I’ve attached. The process should have taken about 5 minutes, but of course I’m nurturing a stubborn kid and so he kept his legs tightly crossed for most of our visit. Even though we had to wait to find out the sex, it was entertaining to watch him bounce around my stomach. One of my girlfriends who is 10 weeks further along than I suggested drinking OJ because it makes the baby more active. I only had a few sips but he was bouncing off the walls (of the placenta that is)…note to self, no OJ for the kid after he’s born. After rolling around a few times, Baby Brenner finally exposed himself long enough for the technician to get a clear shot of his male genitals. It was such a memorable moment. Allyson (Marshall’s Mom) was sniffling and nearly jumping up and down in the background (even though she really wanted a girl), Marshall was pumping his fist in joy with watery eyes and I had tears rolling down my face. Even writing about it now gets me choked up. Who knew I’d become such a sap? I think I’ll blame it on the hormones.

For the curious ones in the group…I was kind of hoping for a girl for the sake of Mom, Allyson and Marlene. The bond a mother and a daughter have is a one of a kind; I was looking forward to that. But, for Marshall’s sake, I was happy with a boy as well. Now Marshall on the other hand claims he would have been okay with either, but we all know that he was desperately hoping for a boy to throw the football with. Only now has he admitted to how nervous he was to have a girl. The thought of putting dresses on, bows in her hair and reading princess books gave him fear.

We’ve already decided to do the nursery in a safari theme. As for names, we’re in negotiations now. I’ll get back to you when the contract has been signed.
I’m tempted to do another 4D ultrasound again at 8 months after the baby is fully developed. I would be neat to get a sneak peak of all his facial features. Plus, I think the technology is so amazing that everyone should have a chance to experience it. I’m taking reservations now. Only $15 a head, or $20 if you want a copy of the 30 minute DVD. Haha!

In other news, the pregnancy is still going great. Besides the discomfort of wearing tighter pants, I couldn’t be better. My stomach is expanding as you can see in the new photos, but somehow I’ve only gained 2 pounds since in four months.

Our next appointment is the week of Christmas. If he says anything interesting, I'll update the blog.

This is the room we were in (that's not Baby Brenner on the screen).

Here's a 2D image that allows you to see the brain.

This 2D image revealed the sex.

This is a 4D image.

He must have known we were checking him out and so he gave us the peace sign. I can tell he's gonna be a cool kid already!

No comments:

Post a Comment